Friday, March 3, 2017

A Top Koala-ty Post

Welcome back, people who have the misfortune to read my blog (just kidding, my blog is probably the best part of your life (said the unrealistic optimist)).



So, I told you guys that this week would be all about Kestrels, and I was more or less right. Before we begin on whatever crazy thing I've done, I first want to go into the general behavior of the wild American Kestrel.  If you already know all about the kestrels (or you simply don't care), then I suggest you kinda skip ahead.

I don't really know how to organize this (or I'm just too lazy to try), so we're just gonna go for it, okay?

Mating and Nesting: Kestrels generally mate early spring to late summer, though they can breed any time of the year. Fun fact: kestrels mate for life. Their courtship involves a numerous of complicated flight displays that no human can do and calls (one call in particular: the "chitter"). Most pairs return to the same nesting sites each year. Kestrels, like the Great Horned Owls, are not nest-builders, so they instead nest in tree hollows, rock crevices, corners of buildings, telephone poles, and fence posts. Females will incubate the eggs, while males bring back food. When the offspring are about ten days old, the female can start hunting again. American kestrel offspring are altrical, which here means that they rely very heavily on their parents for food and protection.

Communication: I already kinda brought this up in the last section, but oh well. There are three main calls the kestrels use to communicate:
1) "Klee" or "Killy": for distress or excitement
2) "Chitter": used during courtships and breeding
3) Whine: this apparenly usually means hunger, and is generally more used by hatchlings or fledglings
Yeah, okay, that's all I got there.

Diets: I think the American Kestrels actually have pretty unique diets, considering their raptors and all. Then again, it's not so surprising since they're the smallest raptor bird (about 2.8-5 oz). During the summer, kestrels eat grasshoppers, crickets, butterflies, moths, and beetles (so mostly insects). However, during the winter, kestrels usually eat mice, voles, shrews, snakes, frogs, and small birds. I believe this dietary change is due to the fact that they need more sustenance in order to stay warm during the winter, as birds have very high metabolisms and their energy can deplete very quickly.

General facts: In the wild, kestrels live an average of one year and three months, but in captivity, they can live about 5 years and 2 months.  Human-related deaths seem to mostly be related to illegal poaching and trapping. They are usually hunted by Great Horned Owls (yay, connections between the two species). However, kestrels can sometimes avoid being prey because they have two black spots on the back of their head to confuse predators (because the spots would look like eyes).

Kestrels are sexually dimorphic (which basically means the male looks different from the female). Below is a picture of a couple of the kestrels at Liberty Wildlife. I love it because it has both a male and female and you can clearly see how they differentiate physically.
Left: Male         Right: Female
So, the male kestrels has silvery-blue feathers on its head and wing tips in order to attract the attention of the female during courtship displays. The females are slightly larger, and have just a variety of brown feathers.

Okay, that's all I got for you there. Now, onto my next point: my activities at Liberty Wildlife!!


Yay, okay, so most of my week was spent getting those kestrel facts that I just bombarded you with. On Tuesday, I got to help assess the condition of a baby bunny that I also did intake on, so yay me!

It's so tiny! 
Besides that, I spent Wednesday sitting next to a Red-Tailed Hawk, so fun!
My new neighbor
I also got to use the copier a lot, because I needed to make a copy of the Species list (which is the records they keep of all animals ever brought in) from 2010 to 2016. I then got the percentage of the number of Great Horned Owls and kestrels out of all the animals brought in. I do have some graphs, but I haven't been able to deeply analyze the data yet, so I'll just give them to you for fun and talk about them in my next post.



Okay, let's see, other things I did.... umm, okay, so on Thursday, I realized that rehab (where all the injured animals are kept) was really big and I didn't know my way around it. So, I asked some people if they had a map, and apparently no one ever thought to create one because they already knew the place so well. So, I became a cartographer and mapped out all of rehab, along with the name each enclosure has and what animal is inside each enclosure. Right now, it's really just a rough sketch, but I'm gonna make it all fancy on a computer (you guys can look at it later) and my bosses say they'd be thrilled to use it for any new volunteers they get, so cool, I made a contribution that will last forever!

Also, I know I said I wanted to find a pattern between the kestrels by this week, and I think I got something with diet (because the kestrels diet is so finicky, and there's limited resources in urban areas) and nesting sites (because there are studies that have found that kestrels have begun abandoning their nesting sites (which if you remember from the nesting facts, is weird) and I wanna do some more research on that.

Now, without further ado, the animal of the week: the fennec fox!


They actually aren't this aggressive,
 but I wanted you guys to know that this fox
from Zootopia was a fennec fox (whose name was Finnick!).
I'm gonna let you guys know now that when I choose which animals to put in my polls, I don't have any facts of the thing beforehand. It's all just kinda random and impulsive. I say this because I think it's so great that when the time comes, I can research any animal on the internet and find some amazing things about it. All right, enough of that, time to get to business.

1) The fennec fox is the smallest of all the foxes, weighing about 2.2 pounds.
2) If you didn't already notice, it has humongous ears. Their ears allow them to dissipate heat and keep cool in the desert. On top of that, their hearing is so good that they can hear prey underground, so good for them!
3) Fennec foxes actually mate for life! This is actually pretty uncommon in canine species (I know there's some myth about wolves mating for life, but it was recently discovered that this is not true at all. Sorry.), so yay monogamy.

I know this post probably felt pretty rushed, and I apologize for that. I regret to tell my audience that I declared next week my Spring Break, so there's a 90% chance that I won't post anything next week. If I do, you don't have to comment on it because it'll be your Spring Break too. So let's just have an agreement that if you don't expect anything from me, I won't expect anything from you. :)

I know I usually end my post with a weird advice thing, but I'm running out of creativity, so instead I found some really bad life advice for you!

Spray you headphones with some
"Johnson's no more tangles" when they are tangled
Right, I hope you enjoyed that. Have a nice life, and make sure to try and relax during your Spring Break!



Some other pictures of my wild (haha, pun) week:

Burrowing Owl
(it is actually really small, so sorry if you can't see it well) 

Another little Kestrel

8 comments:

  1. Hey Korina! That life-advice was too good this week :D It had me literally laughing to the point of tears (lol). To be honest, I actually liked how rushed and jumbled this post was (kept me on my toes and super entertained). Quick question, how come kestrels live longer in captivity? Does it affect their diet, and thus their lifespan (not having to hunt, eating the same foods all year)? Sorry if that's a bad question... Can't wait for week 5's post!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hi Korina! This post was so funny and I really enjoyed it--the gifs and trains of thought were awesome. Also, all the pictures of animals are so so cute and I am a little jealous you got to work with that baby bunny. What's been your favorite animal to work with or research so far? Or can you not pick one (which is totally valid). I love reading this every week and can't wait for Week 5. Best of luck!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Hi Korina! I found the diet of the American Kestrel to be very interesting. In the graphs, I noticed that the percentage of the number of Great Horned Owls and kestrels out of all the animals brought in decreased over the past few years, but increased sharply for both in 2016. Do you have a hypothesis for why this happened? Good job helping out future volunteers at Liberty Wildlife, and best of luck with the rest of your research!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Hi Korina! Great Post! It is really cool to see that you can work with the animals, including the bunny! The fennec fox literally looks like a pokemon, that is so awesome. With the Kestrel, do you know if there was a major selection pressure imposed in the last year that caused more to be taken wildlife services? I really like where your project is going with the wildlife case studies and the Kestrel and Owl, can't wait to read more about it!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Hi Korina! It is awesome that you have started to focus on the Kestrel now. I was curious about which bird you liked learning about more? It seems like your project is going by awesome!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Hey Korina! Working with all these animals seems amazing. It's surprising that you're the first one to make a map of the rehabilitation center, but it's really cool that you get to leave a lasting mark on the wildlife sanctuary. Thanks!

    ReplyDelete
  7. Hi Korina! I really liked how you linked the previous owl species you studied to the kestrel you are studying now, and I think it is a good sign that you are focused on your internship to be able to link these two species together. Thanks!

    ReplyDelete
  8. Hey Korina!The research you get to do is super cool! The main part that intrigued me is the Kestrel's communication. I was wondering if we have any idea what the origin of this skill is? It is probably natural selection or some random biological theory, but it would be cool to contrast the way we learn communication to the way Kestrels learn it. I actually recently heard a story of orangutans actually using their voice boxes because they listened to humans, which I think is pretty cool (probably not the case for kestrels though). Anyways, great job!

    ReplyDelete