Friday, March 24, 2017

A Panda-monic Week


Hello living creatures! 


How are you today? I got some pictures and lots of words for you, so let's just dive right into it! 

Okay, so on Tuesday, not much stuff happened. This was the day where I was probably most productive in my research. I wanted to continue studying any possible patterns that could be related to the kestrels abandoning their nests, so I looked at the average temperatures in Arizona of the last ten years. I also further analyzed how kestrels diets can change in urban setting compared to in the wild. The most noticeable thing I've found is the type of insects and rodents they eat due to the food's availability in the area. This could be significant because each insect would give the bird different nutrients, and some insects may have more protein or be easier for the kestrel to digest, so I think my next move is to learn if there's a type of "selection process" that birds have when choosing what to eat and how each food affects the bird. While doing this, I will also look into a new thing: man-made kestrel nests. Apparently, there's this new thing going around (really, just look it up online and it'll be everywhere) where people make nests for the kestrels out of boxes or something and use this to study kestrels or something of that sort. Anyway, I want to see how this impacts the bird's behavior, so that'll be fun to look at. That was Tuesday at my internship. 

However, Tuesday night, after fulfilling my duty as a waitress, I was called by my Girl Scouts troop leader (who was apparently reading my blog) about a wild cotton tail that her friend has found. Liberty's kind of a long drive, so instead of the friend driving up to Liberty the next day, I picked up the rabbit that night. I realized when I got to the friend's house that this rabbit was about five days old, so I had to rush to Safeway at like 10PM to get some goat milk to feed to the baby bunny. 

That night, I woke up every two hours to make sure the bunny was doing okay and that my homemade incubator was still working. I loved this experience because I had to research behavior in cottontails to learn how best to look after the baby. However, I ended up getting way too attached to it (and you know, the feeling was mutual. Whenever I put my hand in the box to get the bunny so I could warm it up or feed it, it crawled into my hand (which made my heart melt)), which made letting it go just that much harder. Anyway, in the end I had to give the bunny to Liberty (even though like 95% of me was screaming to keep it) because I knew that this was best for everyone (and my parents flatly rejected my idea for the new pet). So, that was that. The bunny experience also took up basically my entire Wednesday too, so the main things I did on Wednesday at Liberty was intake again. 

Look, it's so tiny and small and cute!!!
Finally, Thursday!!  So, this was kind of a weird day. For some reason, there was like some mosquito or something hanging out at my desk, because I got like ten bug bites in the first hour.

Basically me
Of course, I'm used to bug bites after growing up in Arkansas, but I still got really agitated and itchy, so for the remainder of my shift, I tried to avoid my desk as much as possible. This led me to get a personal tour of our new orphan care that recently opened (this is where newborn to juvenile birds get brought in) which was tons of fun. Also, I ended spending a lot of time with the American Kestrels and Great Horned Owls we had in rehab. This was particularly interesting because I was able to analyze each bird's behavior towards humans. If you remember from my last post, I said that the kestrels were "human-tolerant," which many of you had questions about. Basically, one of the top "statistical" ways to study the amount of "human-tolerance" an animal has (especially for a bird) is by how close you can get to it before it begins to panic and try to escape. Well, I experienced this first-hand when I was able to sit with the kestrels for a while (I wanna say about 30 minutes to an hour) without them caring at all. Literally, they just continued either eating, taking naps, or they just simply stared at me (which was the most "aggressive" response I got). However, the Great Horned Owls did not like me one bit. They gave me death glares; one owl got all puffed up to make it seem bigger (a classic defensive behavior), and two owls repeatedly clicked their beaks at me.

This is actually a puffed up Barn Owl,
but it was doing the same thing the GHO was.
I could tell that I agitated them, so I left pretty quickly, but I loved the differences between the two. Now, the problem with this observation is that the owls may just not have liked me (instead of humans in general) or perhaps there was some outside factor that I didn't take into account. So I tried. 

The California Condor.
Another animal I saw when I escaped my desk.
Okay, so usually I'd end off with my animal of the week....but, well, um, that's not gonna happen today? 


You see, because I got so busy (by busy, I'm mostly blaming the rabbit) I totally forgot to create a new poll for my next background until like Wednesday night, which unfortunately does not give you people enough time to vote. So, I can either give you guys another week, or I can talk about three different animals because at the moment the votes give me a three-way tie. Well, I'm selfish and lazy, so I chose the former option. Sorry. Really, I am. Please forgive me. Don't boycott my blog. I at least gave you some cute bunny pictures? Well, on that awkward note, I'm gonna quickly scamper away before there's like some big angry mob with torches and pitchforks. 

A tribute to the new Beauty and the Beast film 
Have a nice life, and here's your useless life advice for the week!







13 comments:

  1. Hey Korina! I absolutely loved the bunny story, and am so sad you had to give it up :( Quick question, are you only looking at the diet and the habitats for the Kestrels in depth, or also the Great Horned Owls? I was just wondering since I feel like you put more focus on the Kestrels. Thanks a ton, and good luck with those mosquito bites :D

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hey Korina! That bunny is one of the cutest little fluff balls that I've ever seen, btw. It seems like kestrels are pretty well adapted for food, as well as fairly human tolerant. If this is the case, then do you think there could be a hormonal change with the change in prey between the summer and winter months, and is there any specific time that kestrels abandon ship? thanks!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Hi Korina! It is absolutely amazing you could use your skills to help keep this bunny safe and healthy for the time being. I am also glad you could continue your research this week! My question is, are Kestrels ever afraid of people? Or do they not care? Thanks!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Hey Korina! It's cool to see you got some time to work on your research. You seem to be caring for the bunny a lot. Bunnies are so cute so I see why! has your research been progressing as much as you hoped this far into your senior research project? Thank you and good luck!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Hi Korina, the baby bunny is the cutest thing ever! I was wondering if you found a strong connection between the average temperatures and the amount of kestrels abandoning their nests. Thanks, I hope the owls are nicer next week, and good luck with your research.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Sounds like you are getting a lot of information about these animals which is amazing. I still can't believe you get to work first hand in such close proximity with those beautiful birds. Keep up the good work.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Hi Korina! Excellent week 7, and it is so cool that you made an incubator and took care of the baby bunny. Did you notice any correlation between the kestrels returning to their usual nests and the fluctuating temperatures? I like Condors, I remember seeing a couple back in 1st grade during a field trip to the New York raptor center. Can't wait to read more about your experiences with the animals and the new discoveries about the kestrel!

    ReplyDelete
  8. Hi Korina! Great blog and research! I was wondering though, which bird population lives more in the urban areas? It seems like your project is going by nicely.

    ReplyDelete
  9. Hi Korina! That must have been stressful to care for the baby bunny on such short notice! I found it interesting that humans were making nests for kestrels. Does that have negative effects or is it a positive choice overall? Also, I was wondering if there were any less human-tolerant birds you encountered at Liberty Wildlife other than the owls. Best of luck in the rest of your research!

    ReplyDelete
  10. Hey Korina! Seems like you had a productive week so good job on that! Since you mentioned mosquitoes, would any species lose all sources of food if mosquitoes were completely eradicated? I know it was kind of a minor point in this blog, but there are at least six quintillion mosquitoes at my house right now so it's been on my mind. Mosquitoes seem to be responsible for the deaths of countless animals and humans (maybe kestrels or owls too) because of malaria and all that bad stuff, so I wonder if they are even useful at all. Anyways, keep up the good work!

    ReplyDelete
  11. Hey Korina! Waking up every two hours to check on the baby bunny..... that sounds very sleep depriving - even for a BASIS student (even though were expected to pull all-nighters every day). Do you think there is any relation between the temperature and the birds leaving their nest? Mahalo and aloha. fun fact: did you know that the Hawaiian state fish is called HumuHumunukunukuapua'a or in English the reef Triggerfish.

    ReplyDelete
  12. Hi Korina! I'm glad you had a productive week but it also sounds very stressful and tiring. When I was in elementary school, we actually used incubators to hatch baby chickens too. Anyways, aside from temperature and nutrients, are there any other major factors that are causing the birds to abandon their nests, such as man-made disturbances or something?

    ReplyDelete
  13. Awesome blog. I enjoyed reading your articles. This is truly a great read for me. I have bookmarked it and I am looking forward to reading new articles. Keep up the good work! Panda Dog

    ReplyDelete