Friday, February 17, 2017

Whale Hello There!

Hi there people! Welcome back to this blog!


First, I'm sorry about the lateness of this post. I would've published it sooner, but I just started a new job today, so life's been pretty hectic. 
Anyway, I'm not sure how many of you read my first Week 2 post, but if you didn't, then to sum it up, I chose to study human impact on the behaviors of the American Kestrel and the Great Horned Owl. 

So, this week has been really laid back. No huge animal or people emergencies. The majority of my work this week has been at my computer, typing up old records and organizing them into fancy spreadsheets. (I know the pictures are slightly blurry, but I tried. Also, the pictures are gigantic, so I apologize for that.) 




What you see in this first picture is the number of animals from each species brought in at each month. The green highlight means that the animal exceeded a total of 10 from late January to March, and the blue highlight means those are the ones that I chose to continue compiling data for. Those rainbow tabs at the bottom each represent the data for why the animal was brought in and (in some cases) how it was injured.

I typed everything in shorthand, so here's a little key so you can follow along:
AmKe: American Kestrel
RT Hawk: Red-Tailed Hawk
That green tab says Mallard if you can't read it
GHO: Great Horned Owl
BUOw: Burrowing Owl
NT Cor: Neotropical Cormorant
COHA: Cooper's Hawk

HBC: Hit by car
PTS: Put to sleep
FOG: Found on ground
DOA: Dead on arrival
D24H: Dead in 24 hours
"No fix" means that there were no apparent injuries to fix
R14, R15, and F10 are enclosures to where the birds were transferred after recovery


This is the spreadsheet for the Great Horned Owl. I'm not done with June, so there'll definitely be more to add there. Snickers, Darwin, Hedwig, and Igor are all the names of foster owls that the fledglings or nestling were paired with.

You guys may be wondering what I hope to gain by going through all this information. Well, I feel that this is the best way to determine if there's a pattern in why the animals are brought in. For example, in the period March through May, there are many reports of Great Horned Owl hatchlings found on the ground or fallen from their nest. From this, I can gather the breeding season of the Great Horned owls in the more urban environments and compare them to that of the wild owls. Additionally, I can find some correlation as to why so many baby owls are being brought in. To illustrate, there has been a constant problem with people bringing in fledglings who they find on the ground because they believe the parents abandoned them. However, fledglings are young birds just learning to fly, so there's a good chance that the bird just tried to fly and didn't quite make it. However, a lot of people misunderstand the situation and unintentionally separate the young bird from its parents. Just as some advice, if you come across a baby bird on the ground, the best thing to do is either leave it alone or put it back in its nest (if you can reach the nest easily without hurting the bird). Chances are, the parents probably did not abandon it. Also, there's a common myth that if a human touches a baby bird, the parent bird will not recognize the baby because of the human's scent and abandon it. This is not true: most birds have a very weak sense of smell and probably cannot detect a human's. That was a pretty quick summary of my attempt at working and researching, so feel free to ask me questions if you have any. (Also, next week I will create a post describing my online research of wild American Kestrel and Great Horned Owl's behavior, so be on the lookout for that.)

Well, besides all of that, I guess there's the upside that I'm now a kind of official "meet-and-greet" intern who answers the doorbell if people bring in a package or an animal, so that's been a fun experience. Oh, and I got to "meet" someone who works at the Phoenix Zoo. Her name is Nicole, and she's one of the hoofstock keepers, but the really cool thing is that we actually recognized each other (if you don't remember, I volunteer at the zoo), and we started talking about lots of stuff, so yay, friendships!

Okay, before I go on any more tangents, let's talk about our animal of the week, the platypus!!!!



So I'm going to be honest, this is one of the weirdest and coolest animals/mammals in the world, at least, as far as I know. In fact, it's so cool that when it was first discovered, scientists thought it was a hoax. Why? Because no mammal should be what the platypus is. So, there's just so many strange things going on with this animal that I'm going to share 5 facts with you. You may know some, but you can just read them all anyway:

1) The platypus is one of the two mammals in the world to lay eggs (the other is the echidna). This is strange as one of the defining things of mammalia is live birth.

2) The platypus is born with teeth, even though it has a duck bill. The teeth do fall out while the animal is young, but scientists wonder why it has them in the first place. Additionally, the platypus is carnivorous, which is funny since it now doesn't have teeth. Its diet contains a variety of worms and larvae.

3) The platypus has no nipples, which causes the female mammal to secret milk from its skin. A lot of people are more aware of this fact due to one episode in Phineas and Ferb where one character becomes Perry the Platypus and begins to "sweat milk."


From a more scientific standpoint, this is what's happening. When the young hatch, the female starts secreting milk and the young platypuses drink from two special grooves covered by fur on the female’s abdomen. So, really, Perry shouldn't have been able to sweat milk as he is a male platypus (or is (s?)he???).

4) The platypus is venomous, and is the only known Australian mammal known to be venomous. Apparently, adult males have a sharp spur on the back of their hind legs, which is used to inject poison. 

5) Finally, the platypus has the unique ability of electroreception. Ampullary electroreceptors in the bill allow response to low-frequency electric signals that are generated by animal nerves and hearts, at least, that's the theory (Sherwood 2004).

Okay, so that's all for now. I may have missed some crucial information (but probably not). If so, I'll just come back and edit my post and you guys will all be surprised if you ever reread this post.

Yay, okay, so have a nice life, and eat your vegetables?







16 comments:

  1. Hi Korina! I love the screenshots of your Excel sheets. (Maybe I'm old, but the large size was much appreciated!) Interesting (and sad!) to see the source of the owls' injuries. Does Liberty advertise or is there another means by which community members know to bring in injured animals? Speaking of which, one of the juniors recently mentioned to me that she knew about Liberty because of your project and her family turned in a rescued bird as a result! :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi, Ms. Mitrovich! Thanks for taking the time to comment on my blog! Liberty Wildlife doesn't really advertise a lot. From what I've heard, most people know to come here through friends or the Internet, so it's funny whenever I tell people that I'm interning here and they have no reaction. However, I'm so glad that my project is being used as some type of advertisement! I really think more people should know about this place, so I'm glad I get the chance to tell some people about what we do here. Again, thanks for commenting, and I hope we get to talk soon!

      Delete
  2. Hi Korina! Those spreadsheets were awesome and it's cool to see some of the stuff you're doing first hand. When you're looking for trends, are you looking so that Liberty can modify its intake or rehab programs for the animals? Or something else? Also I love Phineas and Ferb; it's really a cinematic masterpiece. Can't wait to read more!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hey, Julia! If I find any concerning trends, I think my first task would be to notify the general public (like I did with the baby birds) about what to do in a situation to prevent other things like this from happening. I'm not sure how much I can modify intake or rehab (since the animals would already be hurt when they arrive), but if there's something I can do, I'd do it? Haha, sorry, I tried to answer your question but I'm not sure I did too well. Thanks for commenting, and I can't wait to read your next post!

      Delete
  3. Hi Korina, I love the animal of the week idea it makes my day a lot more interesting. I noticed in one of your spreadsheets you included that one of the owls was shot, and I was wondering if they were a common bird to hunt in Arizona. I cannot wait to hear more about the work you are doing.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Lauren! I actually looked through a lot of Arizona Game & Fish reports, and it seems that owls are mostly shot, not for game, but as a means of "getting out of the way," so a type of pest. This situation really isn't much better at all, but, from what I can tell, owls are usually hunted like other animals. Thanks so much for commenting, and I hope you continue to enjoy my blog!

      Delete
  4. Hey Korina! It's pretty awesome that you can help these animals! It's a bit sad that the animals were there in the first place, but it's still great that you get to help them. Those platypus facts are extremely fascinating and weird. The venom fact intrigued me the most, so I was wondering what its purpose is? Is it self defense or hunting? I don't know if stabbing a worm is effective, but it would be interesting to know. Keep up the great work!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hey, Kyle! The venom fact really interested me too, so I dug up some more research and the venom is produced by the crural gland in the male platypus' thigh. The production of this venom is actually at its peak during mating season when the male platypus, so researchers believe the poison is primarily used to compete with other males for mates and breeding territories. So, it's like half self-defense and half offense. Thanks for commenting, and I hope you continue to enjoy my blog!

      Delete
  5. Hi Korina, I'm really enjoying both your research as well as your animal of the week. Perry was the *best* when I was younger. As for your project, I was wondering if the American Kestrel is native to Arizona, and if there are similar reasons for their death/injury? Thank you!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Malia! The Kestrel isn't really "native" to Arizona per se, but its species have established quite a lot of nests throughout Maricopa County. This species has kind of adapted to the majority of North America, so it sounds weird to say that it's native to any one place, but they have lived in Arizona for a while, so yes? To answer your other question, I have yet to confirm as concrete of a pattern with the Kestrels that I did with the owls. However, it does look like there is a similar problem with the Kestrel nestlings and fledglings being brought in because people have found them on the ground, but I'd like to do some more research before I explore this further. I hope I answered your questions, and thanks for commenting!

      Delete
  6. Hey Korina! I hope all is well and you are enjoying your time at Liberty Wildlife. I'm wondering why the Platypus is considered a mammal as a very significant characteristic of being a mammal is live birth? You mention that you get to "answer the doorbell" and hopefully you get to bond with more people that share the same interests as you! With that, I wish you the best of luck in the coming week and don't forget to enjoy what you do. Thanks!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hey Kasi! That's a great question! Mammals that lay eggs, like the platypus, are called monotremes. Like all mammals, monotremes are warm-blooded, covered with fur and nurse their young, which are other defining traits of mammalia.For this reason, scientists felt it was still most accurate to refer to the platypus as a mammal even though it lays eggs. Thanks so much for commenting, and I hope you continue to enjoy my blog!

      Delete
  7. HI Korina! Thanks for the graph, it is easier to grasp the data visually. I am curious about why there were no American Kestrels received in April. As well, what have you found to be the most common reason for these animals to be admitted, and is there any way we can help diminish that factor? I enjoyed the facts about the playapus, and good luck with the rest of your research!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hey, Nicolas! I think the primary reason there were no Kestrels in April is because this is the prime point in their breeding season, so there wouldn't be as much activity, at least from the human's point of view. There's a lot of times where we don't know the reason an animal's been hurt (most people will say they just found it on the ground), but from the information we do have, orphaned birds seem to be the prime thing for all species. This can be prevented using the precautions I outlined in my blog, like don't automatically assume the bird is abandoned, and the best thing to do is leave it alone (but if the baby is in clear danger, return it to the nest). I hope I was able to more or less answer your questions, and I hope you continue to enjoy my blog!

      Delete
  8. That was so interesting! I didn't know Platypuses (or Platypi) sweat milk or were venomous. Your charts were very interesting and I like that you give some information in case of contact with baby birds.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks for taking the time to comment! I'm glad you enjoyed my platypus facts and my charts (both took a while to complete), and I hope in the future all my blog-readers will know how to approach a baby bird. I hope I get to talk to you soon!

      Delete