Thursday, February 2, 2017

Now as Busy as a Bee

Whoa, look, I'm back!


Hello again, people. Thank you to everyone who commented on my last post: I didn't know that many people could care that much about something I do, but now that I have that knowledge, I will make my life even more entertaining for you.

Let me start off by saying, this week has been weird. The increase in sleep and the decrease in homework have really confuzzled my stress-o-meter; my body and brain felt bored and dead from the lack of labor. But, worry not, because I was soon able to find relief in Liberty Wildlife. I just started my first week, and this place is amazing.

In all its glory

When I first arrived, I was given another tour, led by my on-site supervisor Carol Suits, that focused more on where I'd be working. I got a door-opening badge thing and my own personal desk where everyone can see me, both of which make me super official:

It's a desk! 
I was given the opportunity to hold this little baby pigeon. It was adorably well-behaved and liked to make little cooing noises at me.

It's a bird!
I then walked through the rehab center, where I saw the "foster parent" ("foster parent" here means that these owls are kept in order to raise infant owls that may come in) Barn Owls and Great Horned Owls. 

It's two more slightly angry-looking birds!
After that, I settled in and began my research on which species of bird I should study while at Liberty. Jan Miller, the Animal Care Coordinator, and Ms. Suits were both extremely helpful and suggested I begin with raptors like the Great Horned Owl, Red-Tailed Hawk, and American Kestrel, while maybe even looking into some "backyard birds," like the common dove or pigeon. After a few hours or so, Jim, my neighbor desk buddy, suggested I look into the new Arizona invasive species of the Peach-Faced Lovebirds, who are apparently slowly conquering Scottsdale and southern Phoenix.

The face of evil!
My second day at Liberty was a lot more mellow. I walked in with my fancy new badge and immediately began my research again. About half an hour later, I decided I was done sitting and began organizing a bunch of records from last year into some filing cabinets. This was very helpful as about two hours later, I needed to access those files to learn which animals were brought and why. So, I spent another good two hours making a Google Sheets with shorthand records of all the potential birds I could study. By the end of it, everything looked really pretty (maybe I'll have some graphs on my next post) and I felt complete. But not everything was just paper. I was also able to meet some more of the animals that Liberty has at the moment. Here's a little prairie dog named Carl, just begging for some treats:

Rar
So, that concludes my first week working at Liberty Wildlife. For all of you wondering which species I've chosen, you'll have to keep wondering. Sorry. I'll wonder with you. I'm definitely a lot closer to choosing than before (all those species I mentioned are definite options), but there's still a bit more files for me to go through, especially concerning the Red-Tailed Hawk and American Kestrel.

Before I end, I'd like to talk about our star animal of the week: the llama!
                                                                                                                 
Hi, I'm a llama.









     



Now, this vote personally made me very happy as I am of Peruvian descent, which means the llama (native to Peru) is basically family. So, fun fact: we all heard about how llamas spit if they get agitated. Apparently, the llama will also stick out its tongue at an aggravating llama or human to express its annoyance to the world. You may have already known that, but I thought it was pretty hilarious since I also tend to stick my tongue out at those who irritate me (you see, we really are family). If you aren't impressed by that fact, then I can also mention that their fibers are fireproof, so now you can play with fire, kids! (I'm kidding, never play with fire unless you're a professional fire-player.)

Well, that was more or less a very long post with many pictures and gifs, so congrats if you were able to make it to the end. Your prize: a sense of accomplishment.

Have a nice life, and don't run with scissors.

Goodbye Llamas

29 comments:

  1. Oh my goodness, Korina! That was such a cute 'week 1' post :) It practically radiated your personality (so perfect and accurate... it was like I could hear you saying this to me with wild hand gestures lol), and the messed up sleep/homework situation was so relatable! I really can't wait to find out what species you decide on... the anticipation is building :D In terms of your project after you decide on the species, will you mostly be doing your research through outside sources, interacting with animals on-site, or looking through more paperwork/files? I can't wait to read next week's post!!!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hey, Saleena! Thanks for commenting on my post! My research will include all three of the things you mentioned above, but I plan on doing observational behavior the most since one can learn a lot from analyzing an animal's behavior on a first-hand basis. I think I'm really close to choosing a species too, so stay tuned!

      Delete
  2. Wow! You actually get to see and interact with the animals, that is so cool! I have never seen a baby pigeon before, so at first glance I thought that was a baby vulture. Would you be recording animal behavior towards invasive plant life as well? I remember when I visited the Desert Botanical Gardens, they mentioned how Arizona has a lot of invasive plant life species, so I was just wondering. Your week seems extremely eventful, and I can't wait to read more and see what species you ultimately decide on!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hey, Sri! You're right: Arizona does have many, many invasive plant species that can be harmful for an animal's diet and habitat. I don't think I'll be focusing specifically on animal behavior towards invasive plant life, but it definitely sounds interesting so I might just do it on the side. Thanks so much for commenting, and I can't wait to read more on your blog!

      Delete
  3. Oh my god! I love all of the pictures of the adorable animals. Your internship sounds so incredible. I can't wait to hear which bird you will be studying.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks! I'm actually really surprised the pictures turned out that well (especially the owl one). I'm really close to choosing a bird, so stay tuned and be excited!

      Delete
  4. Hi Korina! Those owls are so gorgeous! I love owls, and cannot wait to see more pictures of them and stories of how you interact with them. I also relate to the more sleep distress.... waking up at even 9 am is so so weird. Back to your project! Why specifically were you looking through the files to find why certain animals were brought in? Was it to look for trends or patterns that cause animals to need rescuing? I can't wait to see all the amazing animals you get to work with!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Julia! Thanks for commenting on my blog! Also, right?! I love owls, and that picture so much. I looked through the files of past records from February 2016 to March 2016 to figure out which species was brought in the most during the same time period I'll be working here, while additionally looking for patterns into why the animal was brought in and how it was human-related. For example, in the Feb-March period, a total of 24 burrowing owls were brought in. However, the majority were here because they needed to be "trapped for removal" (which I suppose means that the owls were in the way of construction), so they may not be the best choice as I wouldn't have very long to study them while they were here. I hope that answered your questions, and I can't wait to read more on your blog too!

      Delete
  5. Hi! I liked your first blog post, especially the llamas! I'm glad you are enjoying Liberty Wildlife so far. I was wondering what traits or features you are looking for in the bird species that you want to research. Thanks!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi, Jacob! Thanks for commenting! When researching bird species, I was basically looking at if they've adapted to urbanization in other parts of the country, what type of habitat they live in, if they've been hurt by human-related things (i.e. deforestation, pesticides, DDT, etc.) and if I would be able to see a lot come in during my time at Liberty Wildlife, which I was able to do by looking through past records. I hope that answer helped. Thanks again for commenting, and I hope you continue to enjoy my blog!

      Delete
  6. Hi Korina! I'm so glad you are enjoying your time at Liberty Wildlife. Like many of us, we are curious to find out what bird you will be studying! I'd like to know that while studying the bird you choose, will you get time to see other species and interact with them? Thank you!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi, Kasi! Thanks for commenting on my blog! I know everyone is excited to see which species I chose, and I'm equally excited to share it with you (expect a post soon)! I definitely will make time to study other species (partly because I can't guarantee my species will always be in Liberty Wildlife at one given time) and interact with them. Anyway, whatever I end up doing here and whatever type of animal we get, I'll be sure to post it on my blog!

      Delete
  7. Hey Korina! Great post! I have also loved bird's faces, mostly because their expressions are so serious but they can look so ridiculous! Since you talked about an invasive species, I was wondering how those Peach-Faced Lovebirds got here. Invasive species usually come because of humans, like invasive seaweed travelling on a boat, but birds seemed weirder to me. Did they just decide to fly here or did humans entice them? Anyways, great job and I'm looking forward to next week!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi, Kyle! Thanks for commenting on my blog! From my research, it seems that the Peach-Faced Lovebirds, which are native to Southwestern Africa in the desert regions, were imported here to be in some aviary and that the aviary must've accidentally left some out, which quickly led to invasion as they breed extremely quickly. Apparently, they've lived in Arizona for a while (records begin dating back to 1998), but the population is expanding quickly because Arizona's ecosystem is so similar to that of Africa's. Anyway, that's what it looks like, but I can do more research to learn more. Thanks again for commenting, and stay tuned to figure out which species I choose!

      Delete
  8. Hey Korina, your research project sounds like it's going incredible so far! Seeing as you'll be studying different species of birds, how are you going to measure the effects of the species upon their ecosystem? will it be specifically within liberty wildlife? Thanks, and have fun!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi, Malia! Thanks for commenting on my blog! I plan to measure the effects of the species through observational behavior of the species in their wild habitat and through extensive online and textbook research (that is, if I can find a textbook that has what I need). My research in Liberty Wildlife will be mostly how the animal's behavior is affected by human urbanization. I hope I answered your question, and thanks again for commenting on my blog!

      Delete
  9. Hi Korina! Glad to see you are enjoying the free life of a BASIS senior this trimester. It is very interesting to me that a cute little bird like the Peach-faced Lovebirds could be considered an invasive species. The work you are doing is wonderful and I hope that you are able to share what you learn with the rest of us. I hope week two is as exciting as week one was for you!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hey, Lauren! Thanks for commenting on my blog! I was also really surprised to learn that the little birds were invasive. I'm really close to choosing a species, so be alert on a new post that may come up soon! I hope trimester 3 is being nice enough to you! You'll be done soon!

      Delete
  10. Hi Korina! Sorry I'm a little late! Anyways, the project seems to be coming along real well. It is great you have some species narrowed down to know which one you will do. Hopefully you figure out which bird you want to do first. Best of luck for your project!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hey Sam! It's no problem, I'm always late for everything. I am really close to choosing a species, so stay tuned for my next post! Hope everything is good back at BASIS, and thanks for commenting on my post!

      Delete
  11. Hi Korina! I'm really sorry for the late reply: I've been having internet problems all day and my earlier comment must not have been registered. I like how you are describing what you are doing each day, so we can feel like we are almost there with you. As well, describing each potential species that you can study shows that you have thought about many options and is much more useful than just stating that you have not chosen a species to research yet. In the coming weeks, once you have chosen your species, what types of research will you be performing, and will there be data collection involved? Again, I loved the humor in the post and I am looking forward to seeing which species you will choose to research.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi, Nicolas! It's no problem whatsoever; I'm just glad you were able to post your comment. Once I've chosen my species, I plan to use naturalistic observation to analyze the species at Liberty Wildlife and the ones in the wild. Also, I plan to do extensive research about the species' behavior from studies online, and I will be discussing my findings quite a lot with the staff here and the people I work with at the Phoenix Zoo so I can get a greater idea of how the animal behaves and how that behavior has changed over time. I will be doing data collection, mostly in terms of how the animal was injured, where it was injured, taking note of certain behaviors that happen more than once between two different animals of the same species, and so on. I promise it'll get less confusing as time goes on (at least, I really hope it'll get less confusing). Thanks for commenting, and I hope you continue to enjoy my blog!

      Delete
  12. Hey Korina!
    I think I posted once already but I don't think my comment showed up on here but anyways I really like your topic and I think it's very interesting. Also, liberty wildlife is a great place to intern at and I'm super excited for your next few posts. I hope your enjoying the project! :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hey, Annie! Thanks so much for commenting, and I'm sorry my blog gave you problems (I still don't really know how this thing works). I hope you continue to enjoy my blog, and be prepared for my next post as it is coming soon!

      Delete
  13. Korina!
    There are a bunch of love-birds that live in a saguaro near my house! I didn't know they were an invasive species! Is there something that I should do about them? (although they are really sweet to see with all their little faces peeking out at me every time I walk by them).
    Can't wait to hear more!
    Ms. Cooney

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi, Ms. Cooney! Thanks so much for taking the time to read my blog and comment! I was also really surprised to learn that the love-birds were invasive, but apparently they are slowly taking over because Arizona's ecosystem is so similar to that of Africa's. You don't need to do anything because from what I've read, the best way to prevent the expansion of invasive species is to stop their introduction in the first place, and we're all a little too late for that. If you really want to do something, you can take them to Liberty Wildlife, but since you like them, you don't have to because the only thing we could do here is try to find someone to take them in as pets. Anyway, I hoped that helped! Thanks again for commenting, and I hope I'll see you at school soon!

      Delete
    2. Hey Korina, it is great to see you have chosen your two animals. They seem to be really cool birds. I was wondering which one of the birds has the most frequesnt occurnence of coming into the zoo and if there is any reason why this bird appeared more often. I hope the project stays on the good track it is on.

      Delete
  14. Hi Korina! I'm glad you have progressed so much since your first post and have also managed to stay organized so keep it up! Also, just wondering but your study is just about what humans have done to the birds right? So it's not about what we should do to prevent it? Thanks!

    ReplyDelete
  15. Hi Korina! It is great to see that you have found more in the great horned owls. Also, it must have been awful handling those kids. I was wondering if you knew about how many owls have started coming in to the urban cities? Good luck on the rest of your project.

    ReplyDelete